Sicilian Rice Dumplings
Last Updated on
Balls made of rice, grated cheese and eggs, filled with stuffing, fried in oil and served with tomato sauce.
First prepare the sauce (it should be very thick): 1. Cut the tomatoes into pieces
2. Slice the carrots, celery and onion
3. Chop the herbs
4. Mix everything together and saute under a lid in hot oil
5. After about half an hour, puree the sauce, add salt, pepper and simmer without a lid until the sauce is thick.
Preparation of the stuffing:
6. Mix finely grated cheese with finely chopped salami, ground pepper, salt and 2 tablespoons of sauce.
Preparation of dumplings:
7. Cook the parboiled rice in salted water until very tender, drain it and leave it to drain well
8. Then mix it with grated cheese, eggs, salt, ketchup and let the mixture cool
9. Make patties from the cold mixture on a board sprinkled with breadcrumbs and cover them with the filling
10. Form them into dumplings (or rolls), coat them in breadcrumbs and fry them on all sides in hot fat
11. Serve with tomato sauce.