Last Updated on
Translated as “Hot Pocket”. The dish is named after an Italian volcano because the filling of smoked mozzarella flows to the surface like lava during baking. It is a yeast dough filled with mozzarella, garlic and basil, rolled up, sprinkled with salt and rosemary, and baked in the oven.
1. Add the yeast dissolved in lukewarm water with olive oil to the flour mixed with salt, knead well and leave to rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes
2. Roll the dough into a rectangle, cover with peeled and sliced garlic cloves, basil and sliced smoked mozzarella
3. Roll up so that the seam is under the roll, brush the top with olive oil and pierce in several places with the inverted end of a spoon, sprinkle with herb salt and rosemary
4. Place in a baking dish lined with baking paper, put in an oven preheated to 200-210 °C, bake for 30 minutes
5. Serve the stromboli cut into thicker slices, for example with a vegetable salad.
The filling can also be varied, for example fried chicken pieces with cheese are a common ingredient.