Meatloaf with tomato sauce, bread dumpling
Last Updated on
Oven-baked, sliced homemade meatloaf, served together with bread dumplings, liberally drizzled with tomato sauce.
1. Soak the older rolls in water, after a while squeeze out the excess water
2. Chop the onion finely, crush the garlic
3. Mix the minced meat with the eggs, soaked rolls (buns), onion and garlic, season to taste with spices and salt
4. Form one larger or two smaller doughnuts which we coat in breadcrumbs, put on a greased baking tray and pour a little water
5. Bake loosely in an oven preheated to 180-190 °C for about 90 minutes, occasionally basting the meatloaf with the fat, or basting with lukewarm water
6. Cut the finished meatloaf into slices and serve together with the bread dumplings, drizzled with tomato sauce.
Preparation of tomato sauce:
1. In a saucepan, fry peeled, finely chopped onion in heated butter and oil
2. Stir in the flour, fry it briefly, add the sugar, bay leaf, thyme, allspice, peppercorns, cloves and mix everything thoroughly
3. Pour in the meat broth or masox, add quartered tomatoes or puree, stir and cook for about 15 minutes
4. Then strain the sauce into another pot, bring to a boil, season with salt, sugar or vinegar. Preparation of bread dumplings:
1. Take some lukewarm milk into which stir in the sugar and crumble the yeast, let the leaven rise
2. Cut the rolls into small cubes, in a bowl pour the rest of the milk in which you whisk the egg, let the cubes soak
3. Add the flour, salt, sourdough to the rolls and work out the dough, let it rise preferably under a clean cloth, it must double its volume
4. From the risen dough make three smaller legs, or two larger legs, let them rise for 15-20 minutes under a cloth
5. Put the dumplings in lightly salted water and cook for about 10 minutes on each side, then take out the dumplings and pierce them in several places with a fork to release the steam.