Spicy Swedish Ham
Last Updated on
Ham cooked in a spicy brine, brushed with eggs and coated in breadcrumbs, baked in the oven. Serve this Christmas ham with croquettes or mashed boiled potatoes, Brussels sprouts and plums.
1. Put the cleaned and peeled onion, all the spices in a large pot and cover everything with about 4 litres of water, put the ham in the boiling water and cook it on a low heat for about 3 hours until it is almost soft
2. Rinse the prunes and boil them in 1/
2 litres of water together with the whole cinnamon and the peeled, sliced lemon, then remove the cinnamon and leave the compote to cool
3. Remove the cooked meat from the pot, carefully cut off the skin and brush the leg with the egg mixture and finally sprinkle it with the remaining breadcrumbs (the mixture can still be pressed lightly on the meat with your fingers)
5. Place the baking dish with the meat in an oven preheated to 200 °C and bake until a golden crust forms, about 20 minutes
6. Place the finished ham on a serving dish and garnish with cooled cooked plums, serve with cooked Brussels sprouts and serve small fried croquettes or boiled fried potatoes as a side dish.