Last Updated on
Christmas dessert from Germany. A plump cake generously sprinkled with a layer of icing sugar, filled with raisins, almonds and candied fruit.
1. The day before preparation, pick the raisins, rinse them, soak them in cold water for an hour, then drain them, pour rum over them and leave them under a lid in the fridge overnight to swell, the next day add the candied fruit to the rum
2. Prepare a sourdough starter with lukewarm milk, a spoonful of sugar and crumbled yeast, let it rise in warmth
3. Put the sifted flour in a bowl, add the sourdough starter, mix and let it rise for a while
4. Add the spices, sugar, melted butter and a pinch of salt, knead thoroughly, then leave the dough to rise for 1 hour
5. Stir the drained raisins and candied fruit into the risen dough and knead thoroughly again
6. Roll out the dough on a floured rolling pin into a thick, oblong pancake, fold the dough lengthwise and place a piece under the opposite edge to form the classic shape of the sheet, leave the dough on the baking sheet for another 90 minutes to rise
7. Bake the sheet in an oven preheated to 180 °C until golden brown
8. Brush the finished, still hot, dough with melted butter and sprinkle generously with icing sugar.
Keep the dough in foil or cling film. It will keep for several weeks.